Wednesday 25 November 2009

Red Wine and Kit Kats

That's what I had for my dinner tonight and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  Only me and Special Boy were at home and he was more than happy to be served one of his favourites, toasted cheese with a poached egg on top plus a bowl of tomato soup on the side and all washed down with a cup of tea and a chocolate milkshake.  Bliss for both of us as it meant minimal cooking for me. 

What no one tells you when you embark on motherhood is that you are signing-up to make the dinner for probably the next twenty years.  Every night.  For twenty years. 

Oh! the tyranny of it!  One won't eat red meat, one doesn't like fish that's too fishy, or rice that's gone into clumps, or soup that's been pureed, or sweetcorn, or the pointy ends of sausages, or peas, or brocolli... If I hit upon something that everyone likes I'm so delighted that I make it again and again until they unreasonably go mental at the sight of it.  I can tell you that the joy of cooking, if there was any there in the first place, has well and truly boiled dry and if I could serve food in tablet-form I would. 

I've eaten the same breakfast (porridge) and the same lunch (banana sandwich or toast and marmalade) for donkey's years.  If I ever live alone I will extend this to teatime as well, perhaps not always Kit Kats and red wine, but definitely - most definitely - the occasional tin of condensed milk.  Yummy.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment